Trump administration delays suspending beef tariffs
Following pushback from ranchers and ag industry groups, the Trump administration has delayed plans to suspend tariffs on imported beef.
According to a May 11 Wall Street Journal article, President Donald Trump was initially expected to sign a pair of executive orders on May 11 to waive annual tariff-rate quotas on beef imports for 200 days in an effort to reduce beef prices, but the action was postponed.
The proposed 200-day suspension of quantitative limits under the U.S. beef tariff-rate quota system would allow several countries to temporarily ship unlimited volumes of beef into the U.S. market at lower tariff rates, according to a May 12 news release issued by the American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF).
Additionally, the reduced beef tariffs were planned alongside another executive order aimed at reducing regulations applying to American beef products, but farm and ranch leaders criticized the proposal, citing concerns about potential detrimental impacts on the American beef supply, according to a May 14 Tri-State Livestock News article.
Farm economists raise concerns
Farm groups and ag industry advocates including AFBF argue, although suspending tariffs may increase beef supplies short term, the action could lead to long-term negative impacts on the U.S. cattle market, harming ranchers and weakening incentives to rebuild domestic herds.
AFBF argues creating a reliance on imported beef and adding unnecessary uncertainty could discourage long-term domestic investments in home-grown protein and fails to address underlying issues facing American farmers and ranchers.
Economists with AFBF analyzed the issue in a May 12 Market Intel report, emphasizing beef imports are already at a high while the domestic cattle supply remains at a multi-year low.
“The U.S. cattle industry is navigating one of the tightest supply environments in decades,” the report states. “The domestic cattle herd remains near multi-decade lows following years of drought, elevated feed and operating costs, herd liquidation and ongoing disruptions tied to New World screwworm restrictions along the Southern Border.”
“At the same time, beef imports have already climbed sharply,” the report continues. “During the first quarter of 2026, the U.S. imported 562,000 metric tons of beef and beef products valued at nearly $4.5 billion, up 18 percent from the same period last year and 122 percent higher than five years ago.”
Prioritizing producers
AFBF President Zippy Duvall further emphasizes suspending tariffs on beef imports could hurt American ranchers during a time when strong cattle markets are finally providing producers some relief.
“Despite a historic drought limiting the supply of water and feed, the lone bright spot in farm country has been the cattle business,” says Duvall. “Ranchers are finally starting to recover from years of losses. Any plans to increase beef imports are extremely worrisome and could undermine the fragile recovery ranchers are experiencing.”
In his statement, Duvall urges the Trump administration to consider the economic impact such an executive order could have on rural America, claiming increased imports “put the economic sustainability of the men and women who grow the food every family in America relies on” at risk.
Overall, AFBF says although temporary import expansion may modestly supplement certain beef supplies, particularly for ground beef blending, it risks sending mixed signals to domestic producers at a critical stage in the cattle cycle.
“Long-term resiliency in the U.S. beef supply will ultimately depend on the economic confidence and ability of American ranchers to rebuild the domestic herd,” the report concludes.
Meatpackers may benefit
In addition to putting an undue strain on ranchers, some groups argue reducing import restrictions would serve meatpackers such as JBS rather than consumers.
Farm Action Research and Policy Director Sarah Carden raised concerns in a May 11 news release, blaming a “highly consolidated meatpacking sector controlled by a handful of dominant corporations” for heightened beef prices and arguing reducing import restrictions would do little to resolve the issue for consumers.
“The administration appears to be presenting this move as a way to lower beef prices for consumers while supporting domestic cattle ranchers, but we’ve already seen this approach fail,” Carden argues. “Previous import expansions from Argentina did not meaningfully reduce beef prices because the real problem is a highly consolidated meatpacking sector controlled by just a handful of dominant corporations.”
“Expanding imports into a rigged and consolidated market will not lower prices for consumers or create a fairer market for ranchers,” Carden continues. “What it will do is strengthen multinational meatpackers like JBS while putting renewed pressure on independent U.S. cattle ranchers who are finally beginning to recover after years of being in a deficit.”
Ultimately, the Trump administration’s decision to delay lowering import restrictions has been welcomed broadly throughout the cattle industry as producers remain wary of heightened imports and continue working to bolster the nation’s beef supply.
Grace Skavdahl is the editor of the Wyoming Livestock Roundup. Send comments on this article to roundup@wylr.net.
