Destructive fire causes great loss
“One of the most destructive fires that ever visited this section took place Tuesday morning at Riverside. The large Riverside Hotel, one of the best hotels of its size in the West, was completely destroyed. The fire started from a chimney in the laundry room at five o’clock in the morning, and despite the efforts of the bucket brigade, it soon gained such headway that the building was doomed to total destruction.
“The hotel was erected about five years ago, by Chicago capitalists at a cost of $10,000, and was owned by them up to about July of this year, when it was purchased by S.L. Parr. The building was totally destroyed, and as far as could be learned from the local insurance agent, was not insured. The furniture was not insured and was a loss except for some few pieces, which were saved by hard and persistent work on the part of the citizens.
“By the same efficient help of the fire department from Encampment, and those present, attention was given to saving the buildings adjoining and across the street. Too much credit cannot be given to those assisting, without any waterworks with which to help. The only buildings destroyed, aside from the hotel were the small buildings immediately adjoining and belonging to the same. Fortunately there was no wind blowing, which no doubt saved the whole town from destruction.
“Mr. Parr and family have the sympathy of the community, as nearly everything they owned was lost even to their personal effects. Some of the boarders had narrow escapes with their lives, and many lost their clothes and other effects in their mad rush to get out of the building. The fire gained such headway that they were unable to go back. This loss is a severe one to Riverside, as it is practically the only hotel at that place. It is understand that M. M. Green of Chicago, president of the New Rambler mine, held a mortgage on the property, but this could not be confirmed.”
The above is a reprint of this story from the Dec. 4, 1908 issue of the Grand Encampment Herald brought to you courtesy of Grandma’s Cabin, Encampment. Preserving History – Serving the Community.